Saturday, May 2, 2015

Adapting vs. Putting up boundaries

Being a relative to a person suffering from addiction may result in an extreme and exaggerated adaption/toleration/adjustment of another person's lifestyle or behaviors. You may find it hard expressing your own needs or putting up clear boundaries.

Please view the following questions if you feel that this way of "adapting" may reply to you. Feel free to write down your answers on a piece of paper.


  • What are the short-term consequences of adapting? ex. "I make the other person happy". "There's no need for conflict" 
  • What are the long-term consequences of adapting? ex. "I feel used". "I don't consider my own health".
  • What may the negative consequences of putting up boundaries be? ex. "It might start a conlict". "I might disappoint someone". "I would feel guilty". 
  • What may the positive consequences of putting up boundaries? ex. "I would respect my self more". "I would see to my own needs". "I would be able to rest when I wanted to".
     
  • Can you think of a situation when you might adjust yourself even if you don't want to? ex. "When I'm exhausted and someone asks for help". "When i need to clean up someone else's mess".
  • When these kinds of situations occur, what could you say in order to see to your own needs? ex. "I'm sorry, I can't do that today. I could get back to you at a more suitable time". "I'm sorry, I can't fix this for you. Have you thought of any possibly solutions yourself?"
  • What would it mean to you if you were able to put up clear boundaries?
  • What would be the first step in clarifying your boundaries? When facing yourself and facing others?  


No comments :

blogglista.seSvenskaSajter.com - Den ständigt växande länkkatalogen
SvenskaSajter.com - Den ständigt växande länkkatalogen